Friday, March 7, 2014

Deck Hand or Librarian


If you were forced to spend the rest of your life as either a deckhand on a ship or as a librarian at a prestigious university, which would you choose and why?


I would choose to be a librarian instead of a deckhand for several reasons.  First, as a librarian at a prestigious university, I would be able to choose the books I wanted to read.  I read a lot and having free access to thousands of books has a strong appeal.  I could check out as many as I wanted and perhaps even read on the job.  Second, it appeals to my organizational side.  Not that I am always organized, but that I desire to be organized.  Third, I would probably have some say in what books were purchased, again going back to reading the books I wanted to for free.


Also, as a librarian at a prestigious university, I would have access to the university itself.  There is always something going on at a campus.  Free access to the gym and racquetball facilities, staff lunches, and the excitement of seeing students struggle through the semesters.  I do well in the academic year, with a nice christmas and summer off schedule.  


Finally, it would allow me to pursue my true calling as a superhero.  The mild mannered librarian is simply a cover for the secret exploits of the Jade Warrior!  My martial artist skills are unparalleled.  My gadgets and gizmos give me a strong tech edge over villains.  But, my secret power sets me apart from all the other superheroes.  When I gaze at a cat, both our eyes glaze over into jade.  We communicate, I can see what the cat sees, and ask the cat to do certain tasks.  This allows me to infiltrate tough secure areas and mess with the enemy's mind in untold ways.  


Yes, the life of the librarian is the life for me.  Mild mannered, never assuming librarian by day, Jade Warrior by night!

* Please note that this was written as a 10 minute brainstorm.  If there is a copy write Jade Warrior somewhere (there must be, the name is too cool), I apologize. 

No comments:

Post a Comment